Become a Coach or Volunteer and Make a Difference
Without caring mentors, positive youth development just doesn’t happen. At The First Tee, we take coaching seriously. We believe that a meaningful, quality relationship between coach and participant is vital to our program.
“Young people don’t care what a coach knows until they know a coach cares.”
Make an Impact Off the Course
We need more than coaches to make The First Tee possible. We rely on volunteers — sometimes year round — to accomplish our mission, and not all of those goals involve golf; we need support off the course as well. Opportunities include:
- In-school programming
By contributing your time and talent, you can directly make an impact in a young person’s life.
Learn More About Opportunities
To become involved as a coach or volunteer, we require that you complete an application and screening process, which may include an interview about your skills and interests, a criminal background check, and character references. You will also receive training about your volunteer or coaching role, behavioral expectations, and child protection.
The First Tee of Greater Chicago Needs You!
1. Find an opportunity that is right for you. It is important to find a volunteer opportunity that fits your interests and availability. Please review our current list of Volunteer Opportunities to decide if one is right for you. New opportunities are always being posted, so please check back regularly to find new ways you can help out.
3. Upon completion and based on our review of your volunteer application and background check, a staff member will contact you
4. Due to the nature of our work with children, volunteers working with our youth participants are required to complete a criminal background check. You will not be permitted to begin your volunteer assignment until The First Tee of Greater Chicago has received confirmed clearance of your background check results. Complete a background check.
5. Volunteer & Orientation Training Dates: During the Spring, Summer and Fall all new volunteers will be required to attend one volunteer training session. We will do everything possible to provide you with the necessary training and materials to be successful.
2019 VOLUNTEER TRAINING DATES ARE HERE!
- Saturday, February 2nd at Harborside from 10:00-11:15am
- Saturday, March 30th at Cog Hill from 10-11:15am
- Monday, April 1st at Robert Black/Diversey from 6-7:15pm
- Tuesday, April 2nd at Glenwoodie from 6-7:15pm
- Monday, April 22nd at Renwood from 6-7:15pm
- Saturday, April 20th at Harborside from 10-11:15am
- Saturday, May 4th at White Pines from 10-11:15am
- Tuesday, May 7th at Countryside from 6-7:15pm
- Saturday, May 11th at Foss Park from 11-12:15pm
Volunteer Opportunities are available at the following locations:
Bonnie Brook Golf Course, Cog Hill Golf Club, Countryside Golf Course, Robert Black Golf Course, Diversey Driving Range, Renwood Golf Course, Foss Park Golf Course, Fountain Hills Golf Course, Glenwoodie Golf Club, Harborside International, Chicago Park District South Shore/Jackson Park, White Pines Golf Course
If at any time you should have questions, please email Erika Shavers, volunteer coordinator. Thank you for your interest in volunteering with The First Tee of Greater Chicago!